Friday, November 9, 2012

Projects Update...Tree version 4.5

A few years ago, when EV was born, I decided I want to decorate our bedroom. I bought a piece of "wall art" from Kohls on sale and decided to use the colors for inspiration. We have since moved and "Tree" moved with us. Now in our new place I'm not sure what I saw in this piece of art to begin with.   The colors are pretty drab and it literally was just a "painting" of a tree, a sad sad tree. I cannot find it anywhere online which takes away from my description of how ugly it was but just imagine generic wall art similar to this...but uglier:

Morning Luster I Framed Wall Art
Taken from kohls.com
Cleaning up the nursery I found "Tree" again and Ed asked where we were going to hang it. I couldn't imagine hanging it up again so we decided to recycle it. Ed painted it white with heavy duty furniture paint to cover everything and I went to town with Tree version 2.0. It went through a couple of drafts which is how we are now on Tree version 4.5.

I took inspiration (sometimes literally copying) this wall decal I found online:

Found here

This cost around $23.00 and wasn't as big as I had hoped. I also had a lot of things at home I could already use.

Tree version 4.5:



 The canvas is rather large and I printed out a template from Staples using their engineering prints which cost me literally $3.00. The leaves are scrap book paper I ModPodged on. I like how some of the pieces are glittery, some have pattern and texture, and other are just flat. The birds and owls I purchased at Michaels and I painted them. The tree is just painted from craft paints. Seriously, best thing we ever bought were those craft paints, they get used all the time around here.

I was at Goodwill and found 3 small canvases for $2. They had this awful dark green, neon green and black design someone had painted so Ed used the high duty paint again and still wasn't able to cover it all smoothly. I don't care.

I painted a branch on them and added more owls and birds. These full size birds are the ones purchased at Michaels and then little birds on the tree are technically supposed to be the wings to these birds.




These will go above the crib and the big tree will go across the room.

2 comments:

  1. You're so creative. Wish you had gotten that from me ... but alas there's not much creativity in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that tree!! You blow me away - cannot believe you are doing all this and weeks (or less) away from baby #2's arrival!!!

    ReplyDelete