Friday, November 9, 2012

Projects updated...Fall Wreath

Since we will be hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas I wanted to decorate the house a little more. Enter, Pinterest. 

Just like everyone else I know, I spend a fair share of time on Pinterest. Based on my boards you would think I love making cooking, working out, am super mommy and do at least a craft project a day. All of those, not really true. 

But, I do hate pinning a million things then never using my inspiration. 

So, Monday night when Ed was at work I got crafty. It doesn't take much for me, clear out a space in the living room, gather my supplies, hours of On Demand of Intervention and Hoarders and I'm good to go! Rather depressing television but I'm addicted...I need an intervention for my love of Intervention and my house looks like a hoarder when I'm done with my projects. Perfect!

I had pinned a few things using burlap and was thinking it was a great fall item. I picked some up at the store a few weeks ago and it had sat on the table for...a few weeks. Time to use it! I also saw someone use it for a bubble wreath which were apparently big in the 80s but seeing as I was 6 when those ended, I wasn't really into current home decor at the time. 

Pictures and Process:

I used:
1 embroidery circle - owned
a few yards burlap, different colors (white, tan, green, brown) - purchased
white craft paint and foam brush - owned
my Cricut for the stencil - owned
sewing pins - purchased
foam insulation from Lowe's - owned believe it or not
ribbon to hang - owned

First I got out my Cricut to cut out the stencil. I could have done this part by hand but I haven't used the machine in a while and every now and then need to justify owning it. Using the stencil with the white paint was super easy on the burlap. Just stamp the paint on, don't try to brush it on. 

Next I put the burlap into the embroidery circle and tightened it. I measured around the circle to cut my foam. I've had this Lowe's foam for a while and it comes in handy randomly. I have cut it, painted the edges black and pasted pictures on it to make it look like the foam boards you can order.

I cut out a ton of 4" x 4" burlap squares in the white, tan and green. I lost count eventually. The tutorial I read said around 100 but I know I used more than that. Fold the squares into triangles then tuck in the remaining edges, pin onto the board. I could have done a better job of pinning into the board since there are a million pins sticking out the back. I didn't care, I know they're there.









Things I learned: burlap is not a pleasant fabric to work with and you will need to vacuum a few times afterwards. Cutting it can get messy and the little fibers seem to find their way into your throat. Probably working in a nicer room and not on my living floor would have been a good idea. Once I cut out all the 4" x 4" squares it was smooth sailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment