Sunday, February 17, 2013

I need Mama

I left on a bus to Georgia Thursday afternoon. While I was gone EV's cough got worse, so much worse she consistently now throws up when she coughs. Little man has developed a cough but luckily nothing has progressed with him. Ed, body aches and chills. I think it's safe to say the flu hit our house. I ushered this terrible illness into our home. I was sick last weekend. This weekend? The family. Luckily we have our flu shots...except the baby. Ed was on watch for any signs of dehydration, fever, cough, anything which would send him to the ER or urgent care. Little girl will need an appointment this week, she isn't getting better.

Being sick she wants her Mama. Yesterday morning she woke up and told Ed, "I find Mama." She looked in our bedroom, the office, James' room, every room. Ed tried to explain to her I was on a bus to Georgia (I can hear her little voice saying, "Bus, Georgia?") but it wasn't enough. Next thing out of her mouth, "I need more Mama, I want Mama" followed by tears. I video chatted with her this morning and she was crying, telling me "It's so long" (her newest phrase) and how much she needs me. Broke my heart.  She was better later in the day when I spoke with her, telling me all about the movie she was watching and showing me great pictures of the ceiling. 

Sometimes I have to wonder, is this worth it? She's old enough to understand now. I need to come up with better ways to stay connected. I have the map on our fridge, little airplane and bus magnets, and I bring back a little something each trip. Last week was a magnet from Arizona, this week I printed off Georgia coloring pages. I'm hoping it's this hard only because she's sick. When she gets better I pray it won't be terrible. 

1 comment:

  1. You do what you need to and what the family decides is best. You give her everything you can when you're with her. Quality time and quantity of time are not the same. She understands, and she misses you, which should only convince you more that you're an awesome, loving mother. She knows it now and she'll know it when she's older. And eventually this will probably mean occasional cool family weekend trips, which I'm sure she'll love. Keep up the good work. You're worth it.

    ReplyDelete