Saturday, September 29, 2012

Projects, projects...and more projects?

Expecting Ninja around Thanksgiving creates even more reason to give thanks. However, this also means we will not be traveling for Thanksgiving or Christmas. This may be the first time I have done both holidays without traveling. Part of me is really looking forward to creating the atmosphere at our house while the other part is dreading entertaining. Don't get me wrong, I am eager to have family come visit, that isn't it at all. I just want things to look nice and with a new baby, I don't see how that can be possible. 

Not true, I do see how that be possible and it involves decorating in October! 

Crazy, right? 

Most likely by the beginning of November my house will be dual decorated for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I really do not want to miss out on Christmas decorating this year. This time of year is difficult for many and I lump myself in with this group. Ever since Christmas is no longer celebrated in my childhood home I am determined to keep the traditions alive, refusing to erase the happy memories of tree decorating, Christmas morning breakfasts and later in life for me, having season marathons of West Wing since that is all I ever requested in college. Yes, many Christmas traditions are not based in the Bible, however I do not see myself worshiping my tree or attempting to win EV's love through presents. I would like to offer her presents as a sign of the love she already has from me. 

This post isn't about presents though. I have a million and one craft projects planned and I keep adding to the list. I have supplies after supplies building up in my closets yet I have bare walls and piles of Jo-Ann Fabrics, Michaels and Hobby Lobby bags in the office. I'm putting myself on a supplies ban. Just today I left Hobby Lobby with 3 yards of varying colors of burlap, 1 frame, 2 baskets, 1 hot pink owl, 1 blue bird cage, 5 holly Christmas decorations, 1 fabric remnant and 5 metals signs spelling out our last name. I spent $111. Ridiculous. Note: I did save $70 but that rational doesn't fly in our house and is only met with "You'll go broke saving money". Clearly this attitude does not come from me or EV...hmm...who does that leave???

Onto the craft list:
Frame with chicken wire and clothespins for pictures
Wax IU art
Burlap door wreath and/or table decorations
White frame with red burlap backing stenciled with some white design
Slip cover for the ottoman
Cubby holes
Possible quilting circle (not what they're actually called) burlap design if some left over
Hanging of ruler basket
Having of KEOGH metals letters
Some sort of table cloth and placemats for dinners
Find dining room chairs for our table - kinda forgot about this one and need to get on it!
Foam squares for pictures (office)


Those are all the projects I have listed. Meanwhile, Ed and I are constantly brainstorming new ideas and he is currently in the process of researching ways to make my dream bed. I'll show you:


It is from Restoration Hardware and would cost around $2000. Yikes!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - can't wait to see some of your projects! And make sure you don't stress when the family is there - let them take care of you (I've been trying to get better at this... :) )
    The best part of the holiday will just be that you can all be together!

    ReplyDelete