Monday, August 20, 2012

EV's room...

FINALLY, EV has a decorated room. She has never once had a room decorated especially for her. When she was born we lived in an Ann Arbor condo with only 2 bedrooms. Claudius occupied the one downstairs and ours upstairs was huge, big enough for a crib...which we eventually put into our closet and put a shower curtain in front of. We were tired of EV being able to see us come to bed. Although very cute when she would pop up and make a noise, it was only cute for that moment in time. She wouldn't really go back to sleep afterwards.

It was cute listening to her in the room though. Randomly she would laugh in her sleep and if Ed and I were getting into bed or talking, she would kick her legs as basically a "shut up" Mom and Dad! She would also kick her legs in the morning if we weren't getting her fast enough. It made us laugh every time.

Anyways, moving to Bloomington she was 10 months old and we decided to not move the crib. This meant our little baby would be sleeping on a double mattress on the floor. 


Yes, she looks so tiny in that big bed. And we literally had zero decorations in her room. We knew the house was only for a year so we just moved in her stuffed animals, my mom got her polka dot sheets which she still loves and we put up a light blocking pink curtain. That was it.

Now that we're in a new house I wanted EV to have something that was hers. So, without being able to paint the walls here, this is all I could come up with:

You see these on Pinterest all the time. This was my rough draft before I Mod Podged these all down.
There isn't a ton of natural light into EV's room so everything looks yellow
I've seen multiple variations on the flower idea above. I took a ton of paint samples (1 of every type) from Lowe's, cut them all out and made little petals. I arranged them like a rainbow since this is the theme of her room (only because Mom bought her colorful sheets, see below). I used Mod Podge to keep the petals down and there must be people in the world you are great with Mod Podge...I am not one of those people. I did a light coat, I covered all the way to the edges, and yet the petals still started curling up. After I put them all on I turned it upside down onto the floor and put some wood on top to weigh it down. I guess if I wanted to do this really well I would do one or two colors and weigh it down while it dried. Then move on later to another color, etc. I didn't have the patience. It's been 2 weeks and none of the petals have fallen off = success!

Everything from Michaels. The letters I painted.
After I put all these decorations up, all EV wants to pay attention to are the pictures of the "baby". I'm not sure if she knows they are her but when we ask her where is the baby she'll either point to the picture or to herself. These are the pictures Sam Brandt took for us when we lived in Ann Arbor and I've got to say, I still love them to this day. She captured my chubby cute baby so well. 

And just because I was thinking about our move down to Bloomington, here is a flashback to what EV looked like when we moved:

Last day in Ann Arbor

First steps, taken in Bloomington

And what she looks like today:





1 comment:

  1. Doesn't time fly? :(
    Love your craft for ev's room - so creative - good work!

    ReplyDelete